Exfoliate, Don’t rip your skin

In Delhi at Dr Raj Kubba’s wonderfully serene and aesthetic clinic. I am having particularly bad skin day but I love Dr Kubba’s unfazed and gentle manner . I find myself put back on Clinique 3 step .I am a three step drop out but it’s nice to get back on it though with a few amendments of my own .The magic is in the salicylic acid that improves exfoliation of dead cells and cell turnover. I find the smell of the toner is stronger than I remember but I am assured it has only denatured alcohol which is not harmful.  It does get my eyes watering though my skin seems fine.

                                The Clinique Counter at Dr Kubbas
I have a special fondness for the brand Clinique. It was started by a Vogue beauty director Carol Philips in collaboration with a dermatologist, Dr Norman Ohrentriech way back in 1960. It was then bought over by the Estee Lauder group but they haven’t altered the brand’s DNA and philosophy which has always been the belief that beautiful skin is not something you are born though that always helps with but something you can achieve.  Later when Vogue launched in India I interviewed  Dr. Norman’s son David now Chief Dermatologist at Clinique USA. It appeared in our launch issue so I do remember it quite clearly.
Back to my skin – it  is looking better which means it was badly in need of exfoliation and a more disciplined cleansing routine .While microdermabrasion and glycolic peels are the answer to more dramatic exfoliation, the aftercare required is something I can never follow because of my crazy schedule ,crazier commute in Mumbai’s even crazier pollution and sun. Scrubs are a strict no no as well because exfoliation should not be abrasive  . That’s why even in traditional remedies besan is always mixed with malai to soften its abrasiveness . Often when you have facials the rough washcloths used by most places are very damaging to skin so opt for water sprays or get up and splash your own face if possible.
Other brands you may want to check out for their gentle exfoliation  : L’Occitane Immortelle facial mist , Kiehl’s Ultra facial toner , Lancome Exfoliante Clarte.


No comments:

Post a Comment