Laura Bailey - Daylesford Daytripping

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Vlad-our charismatic chef/teacher

Before my friends accuse me of false advertising, I am not pretending to have any natural talent in the kitchen. There are three things I do well - pancakes, macaroni cheese and banana bread, and my old flatmates would say my culinary repertoire is based on a variety of jacket potato fillings...There is definite room for improvement, and once in a while I'm consumed by good intentions and newfound ambition...(usually after reading anything by Nigel Slater). I owe it to my kids to up my game, let alone the boyfriend who usually cites the contents of our fridge (or lack thereof) quite high up amidst his list of complaints...

I'll happily cross town-or country-to eat at my favourite restaurants, or spend a carefree morning pottering - and eating my way - around the famers' market, but at home I'm lazy, preferring to pick up a (veggie) lasagne at my favourite deli, heat up the kids leftovers, or simply boil an egg. I'd like to be a spontaneous, confident cook, and I'd also like to know that my diet - and that of my family - is encouraging optimum health and energy...

I signed up to a cooking day at Daylesford Farm in Gloucestershire in the middle of a manic meltdown week. A friend of a friend had whispered about its seductive joys and I felt calmly virtuous simply perusing the choice of classes: Artisan Breadmaking? From Field to Fork? - Next time.

I'm slightly ashamed to say that I chose the Holistic Cooking day, partly on the basis that I was desperate for a massage, but the combination of cooking inspiration, yoga, and deep tissue pummelling was hard to resist.

Such a spoiling drop-out-of-real-life daytripping kind of day is perfect to share with a hard-to-treat jet-setting friend, so I kidnapped my beloved Josh Wood (who I used to live with so he knows all my failings...) for a day's adventure - a rare day off for him, he's the hairdresser/colourist/creative genius EVERYONE wants on their speed dial. The only hitch was that we were so excitedly chattering away en route that we sailed past the motorway exit and then spent an hour backtracking ending up with having to ask local builders/postmen / hikers for directions. Slightly shamefaced, we eventually turned up at Daylesford too late for our yoga session, but ready to cook!

Aprons on, we got to "work" smoothie-tasting, while being taught the fundamentals of healing nutrition and the diverse benefits of seasonal organic cookery. Manuka honey, flaxseed oil and a blender are now on my shopping list!

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Pomegranate-bashing!

Quite thrilled with my new pomegranate-bashing technique: score into quarters and pummel with a wooden spoon and the seeds fly out. Cut to a shot glass full of the most delicious juice I've ever tasted... I'll be picking up pomegranates on Portobello Road on my way home from work from now on...

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Making the artichoke soup

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Chopping/giggling

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Winter salad

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Lunch - artichoke soup with truffles-quite proud!

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Pudding - poached fruits in mulled wine

We're on a roll...artichoke-peeling, onion-steaming, milk bubbling... Our teacher Vladimar Niza's passion and enthusiasm is infectious and I almost blush when he admires my chopping technique - a definite first! Our soup simmers as we assemble a winter salad, bitter endive and pear, stilton and celery. Strong flavours, but simplicity itself. I literally feel myself relaxing, relishing the very essence of the ingredients straight from the garden, the simple act of cooking and eating with a friend nurturing in itself.

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Daylesford Organic Farm

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Scarecrow in silhouette

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Head gardener Jez Taylor

After a seriously amazing massage the rest of the day was admittedly a bit of a blur, but wellies on (borrowed - it goes without saying that we were both in totally inappropriate shoes...),we stumbled out of the cosy spa cocoon world into the silver-rose dusky glow to explore the fields beyond the farm... I wanted to interview Daylesford's inspirational head gardener Jez Taylor but my brain had happily turned to mush so all I could do was nod my humble appreciation of his organic farming master plan as we crunched through the ice and the sky turned pink.

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Last light

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Daylesford Farm

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
A good supply of salad

I picked up chocolate chip cookies for the kids (and supper for the hungry and abandoned boyfriend), from the farm shop on my way out and, no, I didn't pretend I made any of it, though was just a little bit tempted.

It's a start. Happy 2011!

Laura Bailey - Daylesford Farm
Daylesford Farm

Visit  for further information. Details about the day below:

Holistic Cookery & Hay Barn Spa Day
"Discover the healing power of food and its effect on your health with our Holistic Cookery class. The cookery class is complemented by a yoga session and a deep-tissue massage to restore your well-being at our award-winning Hay Barn Spa. Our professional nutritionist chef teaches how to make dishes that are based on incorporating key principles from Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda everything, including our bodies, are made out of the five elements of air, space, fire, water and earth. Students will learn how to re-vitalize their body and soul through a healthy approach to diet and lifestyle. £175 per person includes yoga, massage, cookery class, lunch, refreshments, apron and all course materials. One day course 10am - 5pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment